Formed in 2005, SHAPE has become one of the most active fully integrated real estate companies in Canada. With its most recent acquisitions and world class vision, SHAPE is leading some of the largest and most exciting projects currently underway in North America. Driven by the philosophy of creating a dramatically different offering, along with their commitment and passion for client satisfaction, SHAPE is elevating standards in the commercial and residential real estate sectors.
SHAPE brings together a young and dynamic group of individuals with significant real estate experience and a track record of success. The unique combination of experience and vision enables SHAPE to capitalize on emerging opportunities for real estate investment, and is quickly becoming one of British Columbia’s leading commercial real estate companies. SHAPE’s portfolio consists of approximately 2.7 million square feet on 370 Acres with approximately 3.5 million square feet of commercial and residential space under construction.
As part of SHAPE’s fully integrated model, Shape Management is a best-in class operator of these real estate assets and is committed to thinking, operating and behaving differently to ensure we’re dominant in the marketplace.
Role: Property Accountant
Functional Area: Shape Management
Location: Downtown, Vancouver
Key Relationships: Director – Finance and Accounting, Senior Manager – Accounting
Shape Management is seeking to hire a full-time Property Accountant. This individual will be reporting to the Director, Finance and Accounting and the Senior Manager, Accounting and will focus on property accounting for commercial income producing properties. The successful candidate will be responsible for full-cycle accounting and be fully accountable for their portfolio. Applicants for this position should be self-motivated problem solvers who are looking to join a dynamic and fast paced Head Office team located in downtown Vancouver.
- Review bank reconciliations
- Review and monitor accounts payable invoices for coding accuracy compared to budget
- Analyze budget variances
- Reconciliation of all balance sheet and income statement accounts in order to produce monthly financial statements
- Month-end close for designated properties
- Monthly cash flow preparation; anticipating cash positions in future months
- Monitor and review monthly receivables for accuracy, adjustments or corrections
- Preparation of EFT information for monthly rent collection
- Year-end budget preparation and coordination
- Financial statement preparation
- Complete year end operating cost and property tax reconciliations
- Ensure rental notices are sent out to tenants for the coming year and rates are updated accordingly
- Handling tenant inquiries
- Lease set up, review and activation in accounting system
- Annual property tax invoicing for tenants
- Coordination of information between head office and the properties
- Information gathering and analytical support to the Property Management head office team
- Other duties as assigned
Experience and Education:
- Post-secondary education with emphasis on accounting
- Close to completion of CPA or holds CPA designation with a working knowledge of ASPE
- Previous property accounting experience, or experience working in the real estate industry is required
- Advanced skills in Microsoft office applications, specifically Microsoft Excel
- Experience with Yardi Voyager is an asset
- Must be friendly, approachable, proactive, ambitious and solution-focused with the ability to problem solve
- Possess strong organizational, time management and project management skills with a demonstrated ability to work both independently and within a team environment.
- Equally effective doing the work and getting into the detail as stepping back and understanding the strategic impact on the organization
- Analytical thinker with the ability to meet deadlines while taking responsibility for all tasks assigned
- Ability to communicate effectively at all levels of the organization and with external partners
- Demonstrates personal integrity and honesty